(navigation image)
Home American Libraries | Canadian Libraries | Universal Library | Community Texts | Project Gutenberg | Children's Library | Biodiversity Heritage Library | Additional Collections
Search: Advanced Search
Anonymous User (login or join us)
Upload
See other formats

Full text of "Mathura A District Memoir"

PAEGANA M/T.                                                   393
plough being a share and a bull half a share. Bilu Patti has two hamtefs,
Muriiya Jawahir and Sfurliya Badam ; Sultan Patti five, viz., $Taya-bas, Dai-
garhi, Prahlad-garhi (of which one biswa was sold 18 years ago to an Athvm-
riya), Ajn-ot and Idal-garhi ; and Sin Patti three, viz., Jareliya, Mah4-r4m-garM,
and Bhut-garhi. At the time of the mutiny Umrao Bahadur was proprietor of
2J biswas in Bilu Patti, was mortgagee of 10 biswas in Thok Bad&m and farmed
as much of Thok Hira, This was confiscated with the rest of Ms estates; the 2-J
biswas were conferred on Seth Lakhmi Chand, the other parcels of land have
reverted to their original owners. Half of Thok Kamala was also declared
forfeit, but eventually returned on payment of a fine \ the asaraindars having
joined in the assault on the Fort of Noh-jhiL One of the number, Khuba,
who had been specially forward in attempting the life of the Tahsildar, Sukhvasi
Lai, died in jail before sentence. The Arazi Kasht Sultan Patti and Arazi
Dilu Patti are lands recovered from the jhil and separately assessed—the one
at Ms. 90, the other at Es, 152.
NOH-JHIL—population 2,674—is a decayed town, 30 miles from Mathura,
which, up to the year 1860, was the head of a separate tahsili now incorporated
with Ma-t. The original proprietors were Chauhan Thakurs, who were expelled
in the thirteenth century by some Jats from JsTarwari near Tappal, and others
from Jartuli near Khair, in the Aligarh District, who'after wards acquired the
name of Nohwar, and at the present time are farther distinguished by the title
of Chaudhri. They brought with them as purobits some Gattr Brahmans of the
Phatak clan, who received various grants of land, and at the last settlement their
descendants owned 15 biswas of the township, the remaining five being held bj
Muhammadan Shaikhs. In the seventeenth century some BiMchis were static®.*-
ed here by the emperor, for the express purpose of overawing the Jits ; but
their occupation did not last above 80 years. On the -4th of June, 1857, the
Eohwar Jats of the place with their kinsmen irom the neighbouring villages of
Musmina and Parsoli attacked the fort and plundered all the inhabitants except
the Brahmans, with whom, as above shown, they had an hereditary connection.
The lumberdar, Ghaus Muhammad, was killed, and all the -Government officials
fled to the village of Thera by Surir, where the Malakana zamindars gave them
shelter, and in acknowledgment of their loyalty subsequently received a dona-
tion of Bs. 151 and a remission of Rs. 100 on the yearly jama, which still con-
tinues. The estate is now held as follows : 12^ biswas by the Brahmans, 3f by
Shaikhs, and 4J biswas of alluvial land by the Seiihs. This latter share had
been purchased at auction by Umr&o Bahadur's father, and was confiscated with,
the rest of his property. Two outlying suburbs are called respectively Toll
99